When it is not snowing with icy winds cutting through our thick wool and cashmere coats, then it seems that it is bucketing down with rain. Now getting caught on in the rain is no fun but if you prepare for it, you can stay dry and look fashionable as well.
One item that will take you right through to autumn is the trench coat. Every label is doing one this year so whether you can afford the latest Burberry or your budget is better suited to Betty Jackson at Debenhams, you won’t regret getting a mac.
And hats aren’t just for weddings any more. Hats from the turn of the 20th century are in fashion again so whether you’d like to try the masculine trilby or the slightly larger fedora or even a 1920s cloche, it will be the perfect accessory to your trench.
The most important thing is to stay dry so make sure that you get some wellies and an umbrella that not only keep you covered but also look good.
Here are our top finds this season:
1. These amazing new folding rain boots (£49.99 from Redfoot Shoes) mean you need never be caught out in the rain again! A snug black fleece lining has been added to give extra comfort and warmth for winter toes and means there is no need for thick socks.
2. This Urban Luxe cotton canvas asymmetric trench coat (£210 from Karen Millen) with contrast horn buttons and branded metalwork will ensure you look great.
4. A hat can protect your barnet from the rain but choose the right one to avoid hat hair. This 100% wool felt trilby hat (£25 from TopShop) with grosgrain band and feather trim is perfect.
5. If you want something a bit lighter and with a splash of colour then this quilted jacket (£79 from Joules) with vintage floral print lining in the body is just the thing.
6. Make sure that you are completely protected with this black and white see through cow umbrella (£23.99 by Aye Do). These quality dome umbrellas are just the job when the rain is pelting down outside.
7. Shimmer in sleek style with this silver trench coat from Butterfly by Matthew Williamson (£95 at Debenhams). The stylish design is sure to make you stand out from the crowd with its glamorous take on a season favourite.
8. You can splash about on the muddiest of tracks and still look good with these Joules’ posh wellies in dark olive (£59 from Joules).