[Tree and decorations in main pictures from John Lewis]
Traditional decorations are back in style (did they ever really go out of style?). Wood, felt and knitted decorations are very popular as well as those in the colours of Christmas – red, green and metallics. But as long as it is colourful, looks homemade and you have lots of twinkling lights, it will be sure to bring some magic into your home this festive season.
We have to admit that we’re enamoured with the Scandinavian style of home and tree decoration this year that epitomises this traditional style. We love the use of hearts as decorations as well as advent calendars which become heirlooms and simple red and white used to great advantage. Add a UK twist with London bus and telephone box tree baubles. Anything that looks homemade, knitted or natural should be top of your list. Here are some ideas to get you started:
1. If you’re not going to have a real Christmas tree then you may as well go all out and get this magnificent 7.5ft Stelton Christmas tree, £799 from Selfridges. Illuminated with warm–white LED lights this Christmas tree is easy to open and can be ready to decorate in two minutes. It will make a dazzling addition to your home.
2. Decorate your Christmas tree in style this year with this fabulous London decoration set from the Harrods Christmas shop. Four unique London-themed decorations are included in this set, each with a red ribbon tie.
3. These sweet knitted decorations, including a penguin, a meercat and a squirrel are the type of decorations that will last a lifetime. They start at just £3.50 from Accessorize.
4. This bright and colourful Gisela Graham Fabric Tree Advent Calendar , £35 from Heals, consists of twenty five little pockets that are just waiting to be filled with daily treats during the festive month.
5. These traditional Scandinavian Christmas decorations from Watt and Veke at John Lewis, starting at £15, will bring a bright and wintery feel to the house.
6. This red knitted stocking, £10, is a playful design from Debenhams own range, detailed with a funky stripe print and a roll over cuff with pompom embellishment. The deep set design and hanging tag makes for easy storage of gifts and is perfect for hanging above the fireplace.
7. Create an amazing wall of light with this Maroq LED curtain, £149 from Oliver Bonas. Nine strings of twenty four lights hang down with two shapes of silver decorative, metal cut out baubles that will bring a beautiful warm light, especially if hung at the window.
8. This large overhead frosted leaf wreath, £65, from The White Company, makes a stunning centrepiece. Hang as is, using the ribbon provided, or decorate further with baubles, our beaded garlands, and our pin lights. Faux olive-green leaves with a subtle frosting, and snowberries on a metal frame.