If London Fashion Week has left you yearning for a new wardrobe but without the finances to fund it, never fear. We’ve collated six top tips to help you make money from your home. You don’t have to be Donald Trump to turn your home into an empire and, actually, we’re quite glad you’re not!
1. Do you have a kitchen and a love for good food and cooking? You don’t have to be a chef to be paid to cook for other people. VizEat allows you to post a profile advertising what you can bring to the table, so to speak, when it comes to a food sharing experience – be that a dinner you cook from scratch, a food-tour of your local area, a cooking or a wine-matching class and so on. Perfect for travellers wanting to experience what it’s like to eat and experience food with locals, you set the cost and the parameters of how many people you can host and at what times. With an online grocery order and your guests coming to you, you needn’t leave home at all!
2. Populations are increasing and living spaces are decreasing. There’s not always going to be room for a washing machine in a small flat. Electrolux is investigating the possibility of an Uber for laundry. Theoretically this means that once the model becomes commonplace, those lucky enough to own their own washing machines will be able to rent out a spin-cycle.
3. If your friends and family often comment about your home being magazine worthy, turn the compliments into cash by registering your home as a potential shoot location. UK sites like Shoot Factory allow you to register your home or owned space for potential filming and photoshoots and get paid for it.
4. Create your own mini co-working space. Collaborative working spaces are taking off in a big way. WeWork, founded out of New York, now has office space in 11 countries and at the end of last year, was valued at a whopping $16,900m and there are rumours of a pending $1b investment coming this year. Of course, most of us don’t have commercially sized properties to rent out to funky startup owners but you may well have enough room (and Wifi download space) for one or two – or a small team. Websites like Spacehop allow you to list your home office space to those looking for somewhere quiet and convenient to park up and plug in for a day or two.
Maybe the most well-known method of making money from your home, signing up to AirBnB can really boost your income. Let out your home while you’re away for long or short term stays, or make money from a second property and holiday home. It’s not without its risks, but has reinvented holidays and boosted the coffers of millions.
6. Finally, if all of that sounds like too much work, you could always investigate the possibility of eating in front of a webcam. In Korea, they even have a word for this: mukbang – it roughly translates to: eat + broadcast. Some of the top mukbang earners get paid up to £8,000 per month. All in a day’s, erm… digestion.