The sun is out and summer is finally here but whether you intend to top up your tan in the park, at the seaside, at a local lido or you have actually booked a break abroad, it is time to think about updating your swimsuit.
The perfect combination for parading, tanning and swimming includes at least one bikini and one swimming costume. And with the latest trend towards vintage-style swim suits, it is time to get in touch your inner pin-up – whether it is sultry Marilyn Monroe or cheeky Betty Page get ready to strut, pout and languish by the edge of the pool this summer.
The great thing about this trend is it can suit all body shapes and sizes with itsy bitsy bikinis for body confident girls, curve enhancers for those with a boyish figure, hidden panels to hold in womanly round tummies and suits cut for the va va voom of an hourglass figure. Here are Belle’s top picks of the retro swimsuit trend:
1. Katharine Hamnett Beach for Yooxygen retro swimming costume highlights curves and is perfect for last minute reclining in the sun if you haven’t had time to visit your beautician for the perfect Brazilian! It is £128 from Yoox.
2. Pistol Panties has a great range of bikinis but we love the Brigitte which comes in polka dot pale pink or pale blue and is £35 for the top and £20 for the bottoms at John Lewis.
3. This Red or Dead Vintage swimsuit comes in cherry red or turquoise blue and creates a longer body while hiding a lack of curves. It costs £62 from Amazon.
4. What Katie Did retro black bikini in black is great if you love a bikini but are not all the confident with your tummy. The perfect post-baby swimsuit is £55 from Amazon.
6. Floozie Frost French turquoise striped balcony bikini, is great for avoiding strapmarks when lazing about in the summer – just don’t forget the factor 15! The bikini is £18 for the top and £14 for the bottom from Debenhams.
7. This cute white retro cherry print bikini by Esther Williams offers good coverage for the larger bust and is higher cut for rounder hips while still allowing you to show off your stomach. It is £30 for the top and £25 for the bottoms from For Luna.
8. Floozie Frost French navy printed frill tie-side bikini is perfect for St Tropez parading, cocktail in one hand and hot man on the other! It is £18 for the top and £14 for the bottom from Debenhams.
[picture credits: genibee; David Zellaby]