[Main picture above: clothes and jewellery from a selection at River Island]
It was mix and match with prints on the catwalks for Spring Summer 2012 with paisley and checks at Jil Sander, Hawaiian style prints from Stella McCartney and bright colours and tropical plants at Alberta Ferretti. And after almost six months of coveting the mood-enhancing patterns, they have reached the retail outlets.
When looking for prints, think exotic, bright, big and busy but if putting more than one pattern together with a multitude of colours is a bit too much for you, make sure that the rest of the items you are wearing are all the same colour, one that is represented in the print.
Here we give you some ideas of what to look for to brighten up your wardrobe this spring:
1. This straight satin blouse, £19.99, paisley shorts, £14.99, and shawl, £7.99, all from H&M, are great for layering the pattern trend.
2. Halterneck satin dress with a print pattern, £14.99 from H&M, taps into the scarf style trend in shape and pattern.
3. Givenchy’s cotton scarf gives a romantic, French elegance, featuring a large signature and floral print design, £110 from Selfridges.
4. Swarming with tropical fish and colorful coral reefs, this punchy piece is a fabulous way to play out your fashion fantasies. Queen of prints Mary Katrantzou showcased a stellar take on the trend with her scene-stealing woven jersey dress, £825 from Net-a-porter.com.
5. Reiss gathered Laura top, £139 in luxurious silk features an all-over floral print in rainbow shades.
6. Nicholas Kirkwood’s Precious satin pumps are digitally printed in a vivid array of colours, this style features a square toe and a sculpted high heel. Exotically enticing, they will bring any outfit to life, £460 from Harrods.
7. Get some retro style with this cute red palm print one piece with bow detail at centre front and removable straps, £32 from TopShop.
8.Finished in a ’60s inspired swirl print,Pucci’s print box clutch exudes retro glamour and charm, £775 from Harrods.