[Above: Party outfit from John Lewis; feature picture, M&Co gold and black sequin dress£74.25, Jade and black lace dress, £22 and black satin dress, £20, both from Matalan, M&Co gold sequin shift dress £69, and faux fur marabu shrug £40]
It is party season and although it may be getting cold there is still the chance to enjoy wearing party dresses for your work Christmas party, festive drinks with the girls, you Beau’s work do and Christmas eve catch up with friends. The silly season allows you to indulge in bright festive colours and that bit of sparkle that might feel over the top at other times of the year – just leave those reindeer jumpers that aunty Rhona knitted you firmly in the wardrobe.
Here are our top picks to ensure that you make an entrance at your Christmas party this year:
1. This Lourdes indigo wrapped ruched front lace dress , £159 from Reiss is demure and sophisticated but shows off your curves. Teamed with this gorgeous Ivanka sheepskin coat in noisette, £995, you will stay warm while still looking fabulous!
2. Polka–dot patterns are a new–season essential and Karen Millen‘s chiffon dress, £190, is a chic way to work the trend. The tiered skirt and sheer back make this piece perfect for day or after dark.
3. Make a dramatic statement in the colour of the season with Marchesa’s red strapless gown £1,250 from Harrods. A pleated finish lends the pieces a charming sense of movement, while crystal details infuse it with an extra touch of glamour.
4. French Connection‘s silver Samantha Sequin dress, £175, guarantees a star entrance with its v-neck and wrap-over detail and zip at back. Pair with bold lips and statuesque heels for a stunning look.
5. This poker hot Warehouse dress is a fabulous party frock that’s bound to get you noticed. The fanned bandeau dress has an adorable sweetheart neckline and is flattering to your curves, £50 from John Lewis.
6. East’s all-over sequin dress, £160 from John Lewis, is a staple piece of partywear with timeless appeal. In an easy-to-wear, sleeveless shift shape it has embroidered detailing and a seductive v-back. Simply slip it on with heels for classic glamour.
7. Make a fabulous statement after dark with Hervé Léger’s sequined dress, £1,980 from Selfridges. Constructed in the label’s signature bandage style, this dress is sure to keep you firmly in focus at your next event.
8. Say hello to your new favourite party dress! This figure hugging dress, £50 from Oasis, has all over luxe lace and paneling through the front and a sultry cut out detail to the back.
If buying a new dress just before Christmas seems frivolous in a recession what about hiring one? Girl Meets Dress is the perfect solution to getting your designer outfit fix without blowing the budget. Best of all, there is no need to be seen in a dress more than once.
We love the hint of seductive detailing at the back of this metallic soft, sequined dress from Alice + Olivia. While it retails for £269, you can hire it for two nights for just £79. The red Alberta Ferretti dress is just £119 for two nights hire. The Butter by Nadia emerald dress is sexy and won’t cost a fortune at just £79 for your big event. Get into the bandage dress trend with this stunning gold sequined Haute Hippie dress, £129 and a LBD has never looked better as this figure-hugging Alice by Temperley dress, £69.
[Picture credit: John Lewis and PRShots]