2012 has certainly been a year for the Union Jack and celebrating all things British. First we had the Jubilee celebrations and we’re now less than 2 weeks away from the London 2012 Olympics which were last hosted in the UK over 5 decades ago. As the torch gets closer to the capital, it isn’t just the athletes who are gearing up for the London 2012; the world of fashion has taken the bull by the horns and there are some pretty hot designs out there.
From the subtle sophistication of Stella McCartney’s Team GB range and the urban aesthetics of Alexander Wang to the bold red, white and blues of TopShop and Zara, there’s an Olympic buzz EVERYWHERE this summer.
We’ve done our homework and found some of the coolest, edgiest, on-trend pieces that will put you on podium position rather than scream ‘I’m a tourist!’ get me out of here:
1. The London Olympic Games scarf from Liberty has been designed by James Millar, who was inspired by ‘Big Ben’. The young British Designer reflects the 5 rings of the Olympic Flag in this modern ‘fashion interpretation’. This is a luxury timeless accessory that will last a lifetime. £150 from Liberty.
2. We can’t all be record-breakers but we can be medal winners for just £24 thanks to Tatty Devine. They have created a super-cute medal that’s studded with gold Swarovski crystals and hung from a swatch of official Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Ribbon making 5 stars in our book.
3. NW3’s Olympic inspired Highgate shift dress has a retro tennis print in red, blue and white that gives a girly, but sporty look for £79 at Hobbs. The dress can be teamed with pretty pumps for the office or dressed up with wedges and a set of stunning bright crystal stacked bangles from Love Lemonade for a winning date night look.
4. A pair of Boppers, the newest shiniest high-top trainers, in shocking red from Briers will score top marks worn with navy skinny jeans and a ‘Circles of Hope’ medal design tee from Ethical Superstore for £20.
5. If you want to be a bit racy, go for the ‘Olympic Giggle Wiggle Bikini’ briefs and bandeau top from French Connection that are now half price at www.asos.com.
6. For the ultimate in Olympic luxe, Sweaty Betty has a stunning silver water and wind proof cape with contrasting Union Jack print lining that’s has all the signs of being a winner (£350 from Sweaty Betty).
7. For the finishing touches there’s the Victoria Rose purse with a kitsch British pearly design from Cath Kidston, eye-catching red, white and blue cosmetics from W7 and colour block sandals with neat wedge for £18 from Next.
Don’t just take our word for the Olympic fashion stakes. We spoke to Emma Smith, Womenswear Manageress at Psyche who said, “Put down the tracksuits and emblazoned t-shirts, step away from the face paint – 2012 is all about celebrating the Olympics with taste and panache. If you want to retain your sense of style it can be simple with small changes; a patriotic accessory that complements your everyday outfit or the perfect navy bag will ensure you set yourself apart. If you’re feeling a bit more daring, then give a little nod to the games with some Olympic inspired jewellery. Stick to these tips and we can ensure GB will at least get gold in the style stakes.”
So come on girls, let’s channels our British spirit and go for style gold all summer long.
by Nat Trice
[main picture credit: Tatty Devine]