Brushed metal furniture may give you impressions of a 1980s bachelor pad that tended to be all black leather and chrome but it can also hark back to an era of sophistication and class – that of the 1920s and 30s. The art deco period with its use of chrome, simplified lines and few embellishments was seen as glamorous, elegant, functional and modern and over 80 years later it can still feel like that.
The Barcelona chairs and Arco lamp (above) are typical of this period and by combining simply yet organic chrome furniture and accessories with contemporary furniture the overall look is modern, neoclassical and even futuristic (without being 1970s Jetson way-out!).
Here are some other examples of how chrome can work in your home:
1. The Joseph International Molla wooden bed redefines the idea of the four poster bed. This ultra contemporary design has a wooden frame finished in a rich mahogany. The brushed chrome metal work sweeps up from the foot end and arcs over the sleeping area to meet the tall feature headboard. This bed truly is an individual design that will create the ‘WOW’ factor in any bedroom. £581.02 from The Bed Shop.
2. This simple yet sophisticated Deco Chrome ‘X’ Lamp, £112.34 from Towels.co.uk, is the perfect feature piece for a side or console table.
3. Make a statement with this quality leather replica Mars Armchair, £995.00 from Velvet. It looks great and is fabulous comfortable for sinking down into too.
4. This retro aluminium model of the famous DC3 airplane sits on an organic curved stand just the thing for the mantlepiece. £132 from Artisanti.
5. This Milano wine table is a modern take on a traditional design made from cast aluminium which is finished and polished by hand. It looks great in the living room or is the perfect phone table. £74.99 from feelgooduk.net.
6.With a fantastic Art Deco feel, this stunning light can be used in traditional or contemporary homes. Made from lots of glass canes set into a metal frame to create a wonderful soft light. £130 from The White Company.
7. A rectangular version of the classic hurricane lantern (£52, Lombok) this is perfect for romantic summer evenings in the garden or to warm up a hearth.
8. The Faux Snakeskin console or home office desk is handmade as part of Graham and Green’s contemporary ‘faux snakeskin’ collection. The wooden base has been hand bound in cream ‘faux snakeskin’ and each console table has a rigid stainless steel frame, legs and drawer handle. £485 from Graham and Green.
9. A novel and funky alternative to the coat rack this Rack Oh Deer Antler Coat Hook, £69 from Graham and Green will have guests talking.
[picture credits: Italy Dream Design’s photostream]