[Main picture: Navy Boat Print Cotton Square Neck Dress; Beach Hut Print Cotton Square Neck Dress, both £110, White Linen Mix Tie-Front Cropped Cardigan, £50; all from Laura Ashley]
While red, white and blue are obviously very patriotic colours, especially with the Olympics this year, they are also very fresh and evoke a summer feel. This is why nautical-style fashion is a perennial favourite, and this year is no exception.
To update your nautical look, mix it with other trend such as flirty fifties, as seen with the Laura Ashley dresses above, or the American preppy look. Choosing nautical can help you to create a very coordinated summer wardrobe as well as if most of your clothes are red, white and blue, you won’t have to worry what goes with what. But then that would mean missing out on ice-cream shades, nudes and jewel colours – maybe just make it an element of your wardrobe this year!
Here are our top picks to ensure you are nautical but nice this summer:
1. The Cerise jacket, £195 from Reiss, in stylish cream is a classic style which works with your shape and accentuates the waist.
2. This coquette nautical charm bracelet, £12 from Accessorize is a subtle but fun way to add some nautical charm.
3. Work chic doesn’t have to miss out on this preppy nautical look. This suit will look sharp in the office and teaming it with the trainers gives a more casual look. Tonic Tailoring jacket in navy, £198, Tonic tailoring trousers in navy, £139, stretch cotton shirt with bow cufflinks, £79 and leather trainers, £55, all from Jigsaw.
5. Perfect for trips to the seaside, this nautical inspired Metropole skirt, £75 from Hobbs, is a key piece for the season.
6. CC Striped Envelope Neck Jumper in pillarbox red adds a great splash of colour, £65 from John Lewis
8. These gold and silver Starfish Necklaces by Cabbage White Jewellery, are a style piece that can become a beautiful signature, £65 from NotOnTheHighStreet.com
9. Citizens of Humanity updates classic denim in pure white with a cropped silhouette and turn–up detail, £180 from Selfridges.
10. For a refined look on-the-go, look no further than the Sporty Drew bucket bag from Diane von Furstenberg. Sleek enough and roomy enough for everyday use, the bold navy and off-white colourway will perfectly take you into spring, £299 from Harrods.
12. Protect your eyes and your reputations with these fabulous ASOS Mega Oversized 70’s Sunglasses, £15.