Nude is a strange one in fashion, because really, what designers call nude is not really what we’d call skin
colour. Unless you’re a plastic doll. Instead, we prefer the term neutral or the more accurate but less roll-off-your-tongue pinky-beige. However you choose to describe it, this shade is one cool customer this summer. If you’re looking for a low-key casual look that still shows you know your fashion onions, then this is the shade to adopt. Neutral covers a decent range of tones created with varying depths of pinks and khaki so make sure you choose an item that doesn’t leave you looking washed out – the right colour will make your skin look warm, not dead.
And you don’t have to go all neutral: try mixing cute natural kitten heels with a bright dress. TK Maxx has a good selection of sweet, sandy dresses, while Warehouse has a lace dress that we are desperate to own.
If you prefer to mix things up then try bright tops with khaki trousers (try Designers at Debenhams), or add a new neutral top to a pair of your favourite old jeans – search the rails at Monsoon. Go on, go mad – go nude!
Main picture: Nude Leather Dress £325, Jenae Stiletto £100 both from French Connection
1. Chiffon tunic dress with ruffled floral neck trim by Rare, £30 from TopShop
2. Ellie Chiffon Frill Skirt in blush, just £12 from boohoo.com
3. Reiss Kate silk jumpsuit in beige, £149
4. Marilyn nude button front dress from Monsoon £75
5. Nude Christian Louboutin ‘Lady Peep’ patent leather court shoes, £550 from Browns.
6. Miu Miu’s eggshell leather satchel £795 from Net-A-Porter is the perfect companion to a chic uptown look. Take this feminine accessory out to lunch with a leather tee and full pleated skirt.
7. Look Book applique halter maxi £85 from Asos
8. This sleek silk top with nipped in at the waist from Jaeger, £160, will ad luxury to laid back looks. Pair with tailored trousers for a sumptuous summer look or jeans for a casual look.
[picture credit: All photography courtesy of PRshots]