I have handbag envy. When I see a classic Chanel handbag, I want it to be one of my wardrobe staples, I have to stop myself stroking a soft Mulberry tote if someone has it and as for Miu Miu, I think ‘I want you, you!’ The great thing about handbags is that the classics don’t go out of fashion, it’s hard to wear them out and if you put on weight, you can still wear them!
While £500 plus can seem like a lot to pay for a bag, for the wear you get out of them, it is money well spent. Designer bags do not need to be exorbitant however. The sales give you a chance to pick up your favourite at a reduced price. Otherwise TK Maxx has designer bags from just £19.99.
And don’t discount High Street bags either. Stores such as Zara, Karen Millen and Mango all have high quality leather handbags in classic shapes that will ensure that they last more than one season.
1. One shape that is hot at the moment is the messenger bag. Chloe started the trend with their feminine take on the classic. The tan braided bag (£745 from Browns) is buttery soft with a bohemian edge and is perfect for a Saturday shopping with the girls or taking the dogs for a walk along the river.
2. This gorgeous bag (£199.90 from Mango) comes in sunny yellow, which will brighten up your winter days, and black and is made from soft goat leather.
3. Get in touch with your inner Jackie O with this tomato red Love Moschino bag (£190 from House of Fraser). Pair this ladylike number with some killer stilettos to jazz up work outfits.
4. Ponyskin is making a come back (don’t worry it is not actually from ponies!) and this chocolate Betty Barclay bag (£29.99 from TK Maxx) is both luxurious and practical and will fit loads in too.
5. The nude shade of this satchel bag (£170, Karen Millen) is perfect for any outfit and will last you through summer as well.
6. This funky foldover clutch bag by D&G has a recommended retail price of £230 but you can pick it up for just £99.99 at TK Maxx.
7. Make an impression and stand out from the crowd with this multi-coloured buck skin clutch (£49.95 from Zara).
8. This petrol blue suede bag from Tila March (£345 from Liberty) is so versatile you can use it for work, evening or dress it down with jeans for a smart weekend look.
[main image from PRShots]