We all dream of success – having a nice car, a happy family, a healthy life – but how do we know when we actually achieve it? Is success always that one step further, just out of reach? Well, for some people yes. But a new study claims to have defined the indicators of success for the modern woman, and having a 49k salary, a great sex life and more than 500 Instagram followers are the benchmarks that top the list.
Researchers studied 2,000 working women aged between 18 and 45, and asked them to define what it means to be “successful” in the modern age. And according to the research, being financially independent is the number one indicator, with 78% claiming having their own cash is the principle sign they have made it.
Emotional factors also came high – with being generally happy (70%) emerging second in the list of 35 signs – while in third place was being trusted by your friends (60%).
Other major signs of success for modern women were achievements such as being a great mum, being able to lend cash to your friends – and having a partner who would rather be with you than his friends. The research also revealed a confident 87% of young women in the UK would describe themselves as “successful” – with 25 emerging as the average age most women start to feel their life is a success.
In terms of relationships, the majority of women claimed they were equal to their partner in terms of success – with 25% claiming they were actually more successful than their partner. However, 22% admitted their other half had over-taken them in terms of success. The study also revealed a £49k annual salary is the success tipping point, according to the ‘average female’.
A spokeswoman from House of Fraser who commissioned the study, told Belle About Town: “The survey has revealed some really fascinating insights into how modern women define success. From financial independence, to being a great mum, to keeping up with the latest fashions and trends, the research has revealed that British women are more confident than ever.”
A supportive 80% said they were genuinely happy for friends and family who had made something of their lives, with 82% claiming they felt women were just as successful as men, in every aspect of life – apart from their salaries. And partners emerged at the most supportive people in women when it comes to their success and career – with 40% claiming their other half was their biggest rock. There were also some more superficial achievements cited, including ‘shopping in the right place’ and ‘having more than 300 Facebook friends’….
But whatever your benchmark, and whatever our achievements, isn’t it good that women are now celebrating their success, and that of their friends? Although we’re still not sure exactly how successful we are, perhaps that’s the whole point. It’s all subjective and we will never really know!
35 SIGNS OF “SUCCESS” FOR MODERN WOMEN
1. Being financially independent
2. Being happy most of the time
3. Being trusted by your friends
4. Being organised and efficient
5. Being a good mum
6. Having a partner who is devoted to you
7. Keeping in good shape
8. Making people laugh
9. Being well read
10. Being in a senior position at work
11. Not creating dramas in your life
12. Being able to do DIY yourself
13. Having travelled the world
14. Being able to lend cash to a friend in need
15. Having a partner who would rather be with you than his friends
16. Looking your best at all times
17. Having an immaculate home
18. Being able to cook with flare
19. Having people compliment you on your style
20. Having a great sex life
21. Going on at least two foreign holidays a year
22. Picking up the bill after lunch with family and friends
23. Going on European mini breaks
24. Throwing great dinner parties
25. Shopping for high end brands
26. Earning more than your partner
27. Earning more than your friends
28. Owning designer shoes and handbags
29. Eating out more than twice a week
30. Driving a better car than your friends
31. Having people ask you where you buy your clothes from
32. Having more than 500 Instagram followers
33. Getting more than 50 likes on your best Facebook posts
34. Following the latest fashions
35. Having more than 300 Facebook friends