We recently discovered a fabulous foodie blog www.inspiringtheeveryday.com. Not only does it have lovely food but Michael, who runs the blog, also photographs it beautifully. Here he shares his recipe for Chicken Sausage & Prawn Dirty Rice.[serves 4]
½ cup basmati rice [3/4 cup chicken stock -or- water]
¼ cup wild rice [1 cup water or more]
¾ pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded & cubed
2 Tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
½ pound cauliflower, cut into florets
1 Tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
½ medium yellow onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
½ large green bell pepper
2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
1-2 large garlic cloves, minced
1-14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
½ cup homemade chicken stock
½-1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
¾ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon crushed chilies
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 Andouille chicken sausages or a spicy chicken sausage [bake in oven until cooked, cool & sliced]
8 jumbo prawns [such as Tiger prawns]
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Preheat oven to 375°F.
1. On separate baking trays toss butternut squash with oil and seasoning; cauliflower with oil and seasoning. Roast in oven until tender.
2. Meanwhile cook the rice in the amount of water specified. Drain wild rice if needed after it is cooked.
3. In a roomy pan sauté sausage in olive oil until browned. Remove from pan.
4. In the same pan, sauté onions, celery and bell peppers until tender, adding more olive oil if necessary.
5. Add garlic, cook for a minute then add remaining spices and cook for another minute.
6. Add tomatoes, stock and thyme. Simmer on low until mixture has thickened, approximately 15 minutes.
7. Add shrimp, cover and cook through.
8. Fold in cooked rice, sausage, squash and cauliflower adjusting seasoning to taste. Sprinkle with parsley.